In literacy we have been learning about setting, problem, solution, plot, and characters in fiction stories. We are beginning to write a central idea and evidence on a graphic organizer to plan a writing response. We also had some Friday math game fun!
Our week was filled with “We Belong” events at the Kennedy School. We read with kindergarten buddies, decorated a banner with third grade friends, and designed t-shirts. It was a very fun week!
Our class used rulers, string, one inch tiles, and BeeBots (the class favorite) to calculate perimeter.
This week we practiced logging into our student accounts with our new passwords. We also joined our Google Classroom and Khan Academy, where math assignments will be posted throughout the school year. Students can access Google Classroom at home using their nine digit student ID number followed by k12.somerville.ma.us.
Our first full week of school is complete! We practiced how to solve addition and subtraction on the number line. We also started rounding to the nearest ten and nearest hundred on the number line. Here are some examples of how third graders are expected to solve math problems.
Welcome to third grade! I am very happy to have you as a student for the 2019–2020 school year. We are going to have a very exciting year.
If you would like to practice your skills over the summer, here are some things you can do:
- Read, read, read, and read as much as possible.
- Study addition and subtraction facts for quick recall.
- Visit the library and have the librarian help you find books that interest you.
- Study your multiplication facts (times tables).
- Keep a journal about your summer.
When shopping for school supplies, please purchase the following:
- 2 two-pocket folders (very important for organizational skills)
- Composition notebook (marble)
- Grid notebook (for math)
- Thin EXPO dry erase markers
- Sharpened pencils and erasers
- Markers, crayons, and colored pencils (for projects)
- Glue sticks
- 2 spiral notebooks
- Hand-held pencil sharpener
- Small headphones (in a Ziploc bag labeled with student’s name)
- Boxes of tissues, hand soap, cleaning wipes, and hand sanitizer are welcome at any time throughout the school year!
I look forward to seeing you next year! Have a great summer!
Otis–Holiday activities and word searches with classmates
Romana–The Secret Soldier Project
Donovan–Pajama and movie day
Tesla–Pajama and movie day
Julie–Drawing our dream houses based on the Big Orange Splot
Natalie–Creating math board games
Lila–Reading Molly’s Pilgrim
Deniz–Getting extra recess
Aliyah–Creating math board games
Dylan–Molly’s Pilgrim project
Abdul–Going to Flatbread for pizza and bowling
Mac–The trip to the Mayor’s office
Jodenci–Walking to the Mayor’s office
Eric–Watching the “Santa Buddies” movie
Johnathan–New England Patriots Day/Patriots math
Mrs. Tremonte–Field trip to Somerville City Hall (Our students asked the Mayor amazing questions!)
Our class has made incredible progress over the 2018-2019 school year. They have grown so much. I’m going to miss them! Have a fun and safe summer!